At least 7 of the 10 Astroworld concertgoers who died were standing in the same small section, according to a Washington Post investigation

Travis Scott show during the 2021 Astroworld Festival.Erica Goldring/WireImage/Getty Images

  • According to the Washington Post, at least 7 out of 10 Astroworld attendees were standing in the same area.

  • An investigation by the outlet found that the portion in the southern quadrant was surrounded on three sides.

  • Crowd experts said that the barricades surrounding the quarter allowed little movement in the area.

According to a Washington Post investigation, at least seven of the 10 attendees who died in a large crowd at Travis Scott’s Astroworld Festival earlier this month were standing in the same small area.

The outlet reviewed multiple videos from the scene and spoke with witnesses and crowd experts to determine where several victims were standing when chaos erupted during Scott’s performance in Houston.

Ten people died at the November 5 party and dozens were injured. A criminal investigation into the accident is still underway, and the causes of death have not yet been revealed.

Post’s investigation revealed that at least seven of the victims were standing in the same section that was surrounded on three sides by metal barriers. The department became dangerously crowded when Scott took the stage, turning the jeep into a crisis center.

The Post found that the section was a viewing area in the southern quadrant of the venue, where several witnesses said people began to collapse as pressure mounted in the crowd.

Three of the party-goers who died were reported to have passed out in a watch video obtained by the outlet, as a pile of other fans fell into the southern quadrant. The newspaper reported that the video was filmed just 16 minutes after the show, which lasted nearly an hour.

Just three minutes after Scott was placed, parts of the compressed section contained just 1.85 square feet per person, according to a Carnegie Mellon University analysis for The Post, which would have posed a direct risk of the crowd collapsing in on itself.

Concerts began crowding around the main stage hours before the rappers began performing, The Post found, and when a separate show ended on a nearby stage, the influx of people coming to the main stage added pressure in the closed South Quarter.

Crowd experts told the newspaper that metal barriers surrounding the quarter allowed little movement within the area and played a role in density problems as people already stationed in the area lost the ability to get out.

According to a Post review, people started screaming just five minutes into the show as attendees began fighting for space. It only took 16 minutes of Scott’s performance before someone collapsed into the crowd, but the festival wasn’t announced as a major injury event until nearly 50 minutes into the show. The newspaper said the entire show lasted 72 minutes.

Scott’s representatives did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment. Neither Live Nation, the company behind the festival, nor Scoremore, the event’s organizer, responded to Insider’s request for comment either.

The seven victims confirmed by The Post to have died in the southern quadrant are Madison Dubisky, Axel Acosta, Ezra Blount, Jacob Urinick, Franco Patino, Danish Page, and Rodolfo Angel Peña.

In a post-concert video, Scott said he stopped the show as soon as he noticed something was wrong.

Read the original article on Insider

Leave a Comment