New lawsuit filed on behalf of more than 280 Astroworld Festival concertgoers

The lawsuit filed Wednesday, names the defendants including Apple Music, Scott, rapper Drake and Live Nation, alleging that they were negligent and stood to earn an “exorbitant amount of money” from the event but chose to “cut costs, cut costs and put festival attendees at risk.”

“Many protesters fell and trampled on the ground, some were trapped and crushed in front of other attendees, while others pressed metal barriers,” the lawsuit says. “The catastrophic incident and the resulting carnage would have been easily foreseen and could have been avoided had the defendants acted reasonably wisely in planning a festival as large-scale as Astroworld.”

Live Nation said in an earlier statement that it was “sad for those who were lost and affected” and “will continue to work to provide as much information and assistance as possible to local authorities while they investigate the situation.”
Astroworld medical staff responded to 11 cardiac arrests at the same time, according to Paramedic CEO
In a statement posted on Instagram last week, Drake said, “His heart is broken for the families and friends of those who lost their lives and for everyone who is suffering. I will continue to pray for all of them, and I will be of service to anyone. The way I can.”

The lawsuit seeks $2 billion in damages resulting from “extreme pain and suffering, loss of income, psychological distress and medical expenses.”

“My client wants to ensure that defendants are held accountable for their actions, and they want to send a message to all performers, event organizers and promoters that what happened at Astroworld cannot happen again,” attorney Thomas J. Henry said in a statement. .

At least 140 lawsuits have been filed in connection with the festival tragedy, according to Harris County court records.

A separate lawsuit was filed on behalf of more than 125 plaintiffs earlier this week seeking more than $750 million in damages to “repair, assist or compensate for the damages and losses they have suffered.” Among the plaintiffs is the family of Axel Acosta Avila, a 21-year-old college student from Teton, Washington, who died in the event.

Witnesses described the event as shocking

Houston Fire Department records obtained by CNN last week show that spectators at the event actually breached the main gate of the festival shortly after 9 a.m., and that at least eight other violations were reported throughout the day. Just before 5 p.m., Houston police reported “dangerous crowd conditions” at one point.

Minutes before Scott took to the stage at 9 p.m., more than 260 people had already been treated, according to records. At 9:33 p.m., police reported that “several people were run over and passed out in the first stage”. The “Level 1 MCI” – a mass casualty incident – was reported at 9:52 p.m., according to records.

A 9-year-old boy who was injured at the Astroworld festival has died, the family's lawyer said, bringing the death toll to 10

Between 10 p.m. and about 11:40 p.m., 17 people were hospitalized, including at least six in cardiac arrest.

Alex Pollack, chief executive of the medicine company hired by festival organizers, said this week that his staff had to treat 11 people in cardiac arrest at the same time.

“This is something I will have nightmares for the rest of my life,” Pollack said. “The team is very divided on this. Seeing so many young people getting CPR at once, it’s just something that no one should go through.”

Witnesses described dire conditions, with some saying they saw lifeless bodies trampled on amid the chaos while others had to break out of the crowd as the music went on.

“It felt like this was the end for me,” said Selena Beltran, one of the attendees, describing her loss of balance as the crowd around her began to jump. “I guess that’s how I’m going to die, I was so scared.”

Beltran added, “I didn’t know what to do. Everything was happening too fast, but too slowly and I couldn’t respond. I just screamed.”

It was not clear what Scott saw from the stage and whether he was aware of the circumstances of the crowd, but he continued to perform until about 10:10 p.m. Scott’s attorney said the artist was not aware of the mass casualty announcement until the next morning.

CNN’s Natasha Chen contributed to this report.

.

Leave a Comment